Ever wondered how the Multi-billion dollar online advertising industry started? Well we did and gathered these nine fascinating facts on its history.
1. First attempt at online advertising was a spam email sent on May 3rd, 1978 by Gary Thuerk Who was the marketing manager of Digital Equipment Corporation at the time.
2. In 1993 the commercial website Global Network Navigator was the first to sell clickable ads now known as banner ads.
3. Double Click an online ad-related-services providing agency, developed the DART (Dynamic Advertising Reporting and Targeting) technology, which was the beginning of trackable clicks in 1996.
4. The Dot Com Bust in 2000 started the slow death of Banners ads, as the bust hit hard for companies who were more focused on expanding their consumer reach instead of focusing on profit growth.
5. It was in 1998, same year as Stanford graduate students Larry Page and Sergey Brin founded Google, That Goto.com’s Bill Gross invented a similar model to PPC called Paid Placement Model (PPM)
6. Google in 2002 revamped its Adword program by introducing the option of PPC. Which levelled the playing field, where ppm allowed users to buy their way to the top. Google’s PPC understood the importance of relevance and better user experience and this was the introduction of (CTR) Click through rate. Google did not invent the PPC Model, but it simply adapted and perfected it.
7. In 2006, Facebook started advertising J.P Morgan Chase Credit cards, which started the “ Era of Social Media advertising”.
9. What the future may bring; Estimated total conversations with store visit insights. Using the location history on a users apple or android smartphone. Google uses the consumer’s proximity to the advertiser location to estimates a store visit, but not a purchase.